Sometimes deciding when you need attorney can prove to be questionable. When you are slapped with a lawsuit, it is obvious that you need a local lawyer, but a lot of people hire attorneys for advising on various matters. You can at times breeze out of a problem without an attorney, but having an attorney who has full knowledge about the subject and has fought similar cases before can prove to be very handy.
When Should You Call Attorneys?
Some situations need action immediately, whereas others can wait. If you have been slapped with a notice that has a deadline, it is suggested that you do not slack as the attorney needs time to prepare himself for your case too. In order for them to be thorough with your case and also to understand your opponent, hiring a local attorney or set of an attorney search at the earliest is advised.
If you are in doubt, always call an attorney. It never hurts to call one. You can always decide whether you want to continue with him or not.
There are different cases where attorneys are required.
- Going through a divorce can be very difficult for the couple. Doing it can prove to be very time consuming and energy consuming. This is a time where the attorneys can really help you. These cases require attorneys specialized in home matters.
- Accidents and other life threatening situations can call for an attorney as well. Criminal attorneys can be used in this case.
- There are many cases where the lawsuit is against a company. It can be trademark infringement or copyright violation. We see so many cases, including Apple Vs Samsung where both the parties involved are business organizations.
- Sometimes criminal cases are such that it involves extreme conditions such as burglary, theft and terrorism. In those cases, hiring a local attorney, is a must.
- Lawsuits are also filed in the consumer court. If a company’s product has proved to be harmful to the consumer, the consumer can move the court. There have been many such cases against a lot of soft drinks such as Pepsi, Coke, etc. There have also been cases against food companies such as Cadbury as well.
- An ordinary summons to the traffic court for parking wrongly or driving rashly may not require an attorney, but if something bigger is at stake, it is always advisable to go to an attorney. If a warrant has been sent in your name, then probably that is something to worry about. In this case, your liberties could be at stake. In the worst case, you might end up behind the bars.
- Apart from this, a lot of cases require hiring a good attorney who understands your case and the pros and cons of it.
Before Hiring A Lawyer
If you want to sue, here are some things you need to think about before hiring local attorneys
- Be sure whether you will be able to collect your judgement. Analyze the opposite party and make sure that the money you are pouring in for the lawsuit will be able to get you the judgement you require.
- Are you willing to pour in the money that you require for a lawsuit and the attorney.
- Are you willing to devote your time and resources to the attorney and the lawsuit? It can be very time consuming and emotionally draining to file a lawsuit. You need to be mentally prepared to let the attorney fight it till the end.
- You need to check with your attorney if you are falling under the “statute of limitations”. Generally, there is a certain time frame till when you are able to file a suit for a particular incident. Once that is expired, it is not possible to file the lawsuit. The rule that places time limitations on filing a suit is called “statute of limitations”
What kind of attorneys do you need?
You need an attorney who specializes in your area of concern. For e.g., if you need to file a divorce case, you need to look for an attorney who specializes in family matters. Similarly, if you are moving the consumer court, you can look for a corporate attorney. Find a local attorney, this will make matters much simpler and faster for you.
You need to give all the details of your case to your attorney, therefore it is absolutely essential to have an attorney you can trust with your personal details.The lawyer should also be able to explain to you the pros and cons of the lawsuit and the situation that you are in.
Hence, before you find a local lawyer, all these things should be kept in mind. It is very important to have an attorney that would help you in every step of the lawsuit. It may take long for a case to get settled or have its judgement. Be sure to hire someone you are comfortable with.